Friday, August 7, 2009

I cannot find it!!





Someone has asked for my recipe for my strawberry tofu pie. I have looked and looked through here and I even added a search engine to try to find it. Nope. No luck. It's at the original Veggie-Bistro cookbook site, but I guess it never migrated over here. And so... I post it ... again. I think :) The texture is more like custard than pudding and if you don't tell people what they're eating, they'll never know it's tofu. Top it with Cool Whip and it's even better, but I digress. :) Someone told me once that it's not really vegan because it uses gelatin. My response to that is yes, it can too be vegan. I've been to the health food store enough to know there is a vegan gelatin alternative. Use the vegan alternative and fresh strawberry juice for color and flavor and viola!! Perfection in a pan. Also, just to kick it up to something amazing, try adding in the zest and juice of 2 limes. Oh my goodness is that good! The sweetness of the berries with the contrast of the tang and tart of the lime.... OH! DD 2 doesn't like it as a pie; she eats it in a cup as a custard.

Ok Ok... enough chatter. Here's the goods. Enjoy! :)



Strawberry Custard Pie

1 graham cracker crust
1 medium banana, broken into chunks
1 box silken lite tofu
1 box strawberry gelatin, or vegan alternative if you prefer.
1 cup HOT water

Dissolve gelatin into the hot water and set aside. While that sets, blend together the tofu and the banana until the texture is smooth and creamy. Then add in the gelatin mixture to the blended tofu and whiz again. Blend it thoroughly, then pour into the ready and waiting crust. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. It is delicious and light and good for you. Who can beat that?

1 comment:

  1. YUM!
    Dropping in to say HI from Veg Mamma! Thanks for being a follower!
    Cindy
    http://vegetarianmamma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin